Light Steel Frame
Light steel framing is generally based on the use of proprietary C or Z shaped steel sections produced by cold rolling from strip steel. The steel strip used in cold formed sections is relatively thin, typically 0.9 to 3.2mm, and is galvanised for corrosion protection. The components are formed in the factory and can either be assembled there into panels or assembled individually on site.
A single house project in York replicating the existing terrace design built using Light Steel Frame components erected on site.
Examples of Houses Constructed using Light Steel Frame panels.
Large apartment block using Light Steel Frame panels.
- Flexibility – individual components allow for bespoke designs and is ideal for small developments such as the York example but can also be used for repeat designs for individual houses and apartment projects where panel formats allow for rapid on site erection.
- Load bearing – can provide the structural frame of the building but also suitable to form external wall panels in a traditionally constructed structural frame.
- Corrosion resistant – galvanised steel provides resistance to corrosion.
- Speed of construction – The structure can be erected 30% faster than traditional house building and 50% faster than traditional construction in multi-storey residential apartment construction.
- Light weight – lower foundation loads than traditional masonry construction, allowing for simpler foundations on poor ground and the lower loads on podium decks thus reducing foundation loadings in multi-story projects.
- Fire resistance – excellent.
- Site based construction – either as individual components or as panels. External claddings applied as a site based operation after erection.
- Weather exposure – the site based nature of the construction means the building is exposed to the elements until it is made watertight.
- Site based internal fit out – all the subsequent fitting out is carried out on site in the traditional manner using site based trades although the use of bathroom pods will reduce fitting out time.